Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Dark Chocolate Cake with Cherry Cream Cheese Frosting



I discovered this cake in Paula Deen's magazine either the day we started Lent or the day after. Her recipe makes the cake from scratch, but I wanted to try it with a chocolate cake, so I just bought my favorite mix to make it easier. I did not skimp on the icing, though! I made two cakes, one for our church group and another for my co-workers. Both were received well!

Cherry Cream Cheese Frosting

1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup cherry juice
6 cups powdered sugar (or confectioner's sugar)

Beat butter and cream cheese until creamy. Slowly beat in juice until smooth and then gradually add sugar until smooth. I would add sugar to taste. There is a difference between powdered sugar (or confectioner's sugar) sifted and unsifted, so it just depends. I used less than five cups when I DOUBLED the other ingredients. Plus, I like the taste of cream cheese, so I used less.

I also used I Can't Believe It's Not Butter sticks and reduced fat cream cheese and it was still divine! No one could tell!




No comments:

Post a Comment